Sunday, July 5, 2009

Roasted stuffed lamb

Photobucket

In Romania we cook lamb for every Easter, and the roasted lamb is a traditional meal. It is the first time when I cooked this, and frankly speaking, I was a bit afraid I won't get rid of that sheep smell. But everything was ok, nothing smelled anything like sheep, the meat had the exact tender and soft consistence I was looking for!It was delicious and it made me feel a little bit like home :)

I used:
- 1kg lamb meat
- 2 bacon stripes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 75g salted butter
- rosemary
- salt and pepper, different spices

Photobucket

I melted the butter in a saucepan, added the spices, salt and pepper and 2 minced garlic cloves. I let it cool off for a few minutes so I could work with it later.

Photobucket

The meat I cleaned it of the fat portions and made small holes in it with a kitchen knife. I stuffed the holes with little pieces of bacon and the last garlic clove, chopped. My piece of meat was a bit round like a little ball, so I cut it in half, and then I covered the two parts together.

Photobucket

I put the meat in a big bowl and poured over it the mixture of butter and condiments. It needs to marinate, so I put it in the fridge for 2 hours.

Photobucket

Before I put it in the oven, I fried it in a pan, on medium heat. Not too long, but enough so it gets a fine crust. I sat it in a bakingpan, poured over the remaining juices of the marinate sauce and added water (around 2 cups).

Photobucket

I put it in the oven, 70-80 Celsius degrees for 1.5-2 hours. Now don't get me wrong, it depends on everyones oven and the thickness of the meat. My advice is to always check and do the toothpick test in order to see when it's done.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I served it with potatoes grating, salad and garlic butter. It was so nice, it was melting in the mouth!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment