Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Creamy fish and shrimps chowder

Photobucket

I don't even remember the last time I had fish soup. But I do remember I didn't enjoy it. I remember my grandma was cooking it, but also how the fish head was looking back at me from the bowl with those translucid eyes.. brr.. no wonder I never liked it. Until today, because I cooked it!
Ok, I didn't used the fish head, and it is creamy, but it's still a fish soup! And one of a sudden I decided I really like it!

I used:
- 75g butter
- 3 small carrots
- 1 little onion
- 2 ts all purpose flour
- 500ml fish stock
- 4 small potatoes
- 200g frozen peas
- 500ml milk
- 250g cheddar cheese
- 350g fish : salmon, cod and shrimps
- parslej
- salt and pepper

Photobucket

I washed, peeled and cut the carrots. Same with the potatoes. I chopped the onion.
For the fish stock you can use Knorr cubes.
My fish was already cut in small cubes, bought like that from the supermarket, special for soups.

I heated the butter over medium-low heat, added the carrots and onion and saute, stirring, for about 5-7 minutes. I added the flour and stirred until it was well blended, 1-2 minutes.

Photobucket

I added the fish stock and the potatoes and let it boil. Then put a lid on and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat, stirring from time to time.
I added the fish, peas, the milk and cheddar cheese. I let it cook, stirring very gently from time to time, for 10 more minutes or until the cheese has melted.

Photobucket

Photobucket

In the end I added salt (if needed) and pepper and the chopped parsley.
This soup was a very pleasant surprise. Velvety creamy texture.. incredible tasty!

Photobucket

The above picture was for presentation purposes.. in reality, this big bowl I ate! :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment